FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Dual Email/CalendarContacts Strategy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Just Chattin' Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
billcalle
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Dual Email/CalendarContacts Strategy Reply with quote

Scenario:

1) Exchange account at work on Exchange Server 2003 with SP2.
2) POP e-mail account at home serviced using Outlook 2003 for mail access calendar, contacts, notes, etc.
3) 2125 phone without push mail ROM (unless someone knows how to get the new ROM for this unit and I don't).

Desire:

1) Instant mail notification from both home and work accounts (once ROM update is available). I'm willing to switch the home account to a hosted exchange account at 4smartphone.net or the like if necessary.
2) Separate calendars, contacts, etc. I'd like to have both up to date on the phone but I'd rather not have my personal calendar get merged with my work calendar, etc.
3) Access to global address list for work account.

Is there any way to accomplish all of this? What strategies do you guys/gals use to try and maintain separation between the work and personal accounts while maximizing the device's capabilities?

Thanks in advance for any assistance. Very Happy
dbarnhart
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some services offer the ability to categorize your contacts, so you could have two categories, 'Home' and 'Work'. That's what I do.

Best Regards,
Dave
billcalle
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd thought of that. Assuming I used the categories coupled with the private option so that my administrative assistant doesn't see all of my personal appointments, I could live with the contacts and calendar information getting merged. What about e-mail? Is there a way to get to push e-mail systems connected? If I upgraded to 4smartphone.net for the home account could I sync to both it and the work e-mail and keep them separate?
dbarnhart
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't try to push my email out to my phone, I simply use a mobile friendly website (web2mail.com) that acts as a POP mail client, getting my email from several accounts and displaying them in Pocket Internet Explorer.

Personally, I think that broadband wireless will be so ubiquitous in a couple of years that we'll all be using web 2.0 apps on our phones for just about everything.

Best Regards,
Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> Just Chattin' All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: