FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
iPhone Data to be Boosted by AT&T's Operation "Fine Edge"
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: iPhone Data to be Boosted by AT&T's Operation " Reply with quote

Rocco Augusto wrote:
Doesn't the iPhone have WiFi built in? If so, isn't WiFi as power hungry as UMTS/HSDPA if not more power hungry? I don't get it Sad

Presumably, though, WiFi can be turned off. <shrug> I didn't mean to say I had the reason.

--janak
michaelp
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's my understanding that the battery isn't able to be replaced by the user. If this is correct what happens when the battery craps out?! Are you supposed to send your phone off and wait until the battery is replaced?

Don't worry. Just remember how great the life of the iPod batteries are. Scratch that, you'll just need to get a new iPhone after a year.

Quote:
Presumably, though, WiFi can be turned off. <shrug> I didn't mean to say I had the reason.

Yeah, WiFi can be controlled, whereas the iPhone may not offer the ability to turn off the 3G radio when not using it. Still, I would definately take 3G and daily recharges over EDGE and better battery life.
Janak Parekh
Rogue Pocket PC Thoughts Editor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

michaelp wrote:
Don't worry. Just remember how great the life of the iPod batteries are. Scratch that, you'll just need to get a new iPhone after a year.

Not necessarily; most iPod batteries last 2+ years, based on lots of anecdotal evidence. That said, I'm guessing that those who need removable batteries will not opt for the iPhone, unless Apple surprises us.

--janak
dd-mj
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that even though my Samsung Blackjack has a great 3G connection here in San Jose, I still use the Edge setting to save my battery life.

I find email connectivity is plenty fast enough with edge. what I do wish is that I could set my Blackjack to automatically switch back to 3G when I am actively web browsing, then throttle back when I am done.

Again it is about battery life. It is easy enough for me to toggle between the two speed settings.
cgron
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: EDGE backhaul upgrade likely helps 3G Reply with quote

Here in Los Angeles the Cingular data network can be very flakey depending on where you are. As another commentator mentioned, EDGE coverage is much more common than 3G, which flickers on and off almost randomly.

Overall, I suspect improvements to the backhaul at the cell towers will benefit 3G as well as EDGE. On a tower supporting both standards the increased bandwidth helps them both (doubt they have separate T1s). When the EDGE towers eventually upgrade to 3G the better backhaul will be ready. In other words, I would not be surprised if the internet side of even the new 3G supporting towers is limited.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: