FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
God Bless the i(Pod)Phone for Making AT&T Boost their EDGE Network Speed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hyer
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought maybe it was my phone, so I restarted it, now only 3kb!
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess this thing is not going to be a <insert name here> killer.
Kris Kumar
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hyer wrote:
Thought maybe it was my phone, so I restarted it, now only 3kb!

Yikes!

I guess the only way to fix this is to buy a $500 Apple toy and complain to AT&T about poor EDGE. Without the Apple toy I am afraid AT&T would not even listen to us. WinMo users are the untouchables on the network. Laughing
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jerry Raia wrote:
After the fun of sliding yor fingers all over the screen wears off, you will have a real nice paper weight to play with.

At least they didn't put the music player buttons like HTC and others. But you are right it seems to me like the Vista experience. Vista looked really cool to me at first, refreshing change from the dull looking XP and had some features that were worthy of the upgrade. But overall it has been an eye-wash.
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: God Bless the i(Pod)Phone for Making AT&T Boost thei Reply with quote

John Cody wrote:

LOL - You'll notice that all of the iPhone commercials that show it viewing and zooming in on a webpage are of an *already loaded* webpage. The commercial would have been a 5 minute commercial if it tried to load the New York Times homepage in real time Laughing

Good point. While they do show the phone doing everything else, the page is pre-loaded. I read somewhere else that Apple might have the popular site banner logos, and background etc. pre-cached on their mobile phone.
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: God Bless the i(Pod)Phone for Making AT&T Boost thei Reply with quote

vincenzosi wrote:
I reckon it has something to do with sheer volume for one, and secondly I'd be willing to bet Apple did a little chipping in to make sure the EDGE network was up to snuff before launch. Truth is, the iPhone made a bigger wave on the industry than any other phone in history, love it or hate it.

When the 8525 launched, how many people lined up for it?

Just something to think about.

When looking for quality and true functionality, I always look for the one the masses are flocking to.
dstrauss
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since yesterday, speed of EDGE has doubled in Midland, TX. Consistently 65-80kb before, now 145-180, generally averaging at 170k. I don't care what Steverino did, this is great for my Blackjack, because we don't have 3G here; at least not until Steverino releases the 3G iPhone II at Xmas. Very Happy
SteveHoward999
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris Kumar wrote:

At least they didn't put the music player buttons like HTC and others. But you are right it seems to me like the Vista experience. Vista looked really cool to me at first, refreshing change from the dull looking XP and had some features that were worthy of the upgrade. But overall it has been an eye-wash.

Most people turn off all that swishy, slidey, wobbly stuff pretty quickly.

I've been working in multimedia for about 10 years. After the Flash Explosion of 2000 or so, when we all learned to love the Skip The Effin Intro button, clients briefly asked for stuff that slid in and out, transitions everywhere etc etc. Then quickly got sick of them and asked for them to be taken out.

All those transitions slow things down, they are distracting, annoying, and add nothing to usability.

But they look cool.

For ten minutes.

Or on tv ads Smile
djdj
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel bad for you Cingular/AT&T customers that have had to put up with bad speeds like that.

Doing the same test on my Dash with T-Mobile has given me results of 175, 186, 200, and 203 kbps the four times I ran it. (and it has been about that fast as long as I have had an EDGE capable phone) I had no idea that AT&T's EDGE had been so slow up until now. I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering with expensive slow data.
Wyld1
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooster, Ohio
Blacklack-WinMo6
IE-290
Opera-190
Both on Cingular Edge. Speed difference is odd seeing they were run within 1 minute of each other sitting in the same spot.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: