FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Who is Afraid of the iPhone?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
heov
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, how many consumers carry around spare batteries? it's not like the iphone is lacking the battery life dept anyway.

Basically only "business" users carry extra batteries around. Teens, college students, soccer moms, and my dad, do not (of course there are exceptions).

And what if the battery loses its charge? yeah that could be a problem, but by then ppl would generally get a new phone. Basically, I'm pretty sure most trendy consumers who bought the razr and such don't give a shit about the non removable battery.

Plus I think apple did one hell of a job on their first revision... it may not be perfect, but it is going ot sell well and it is quite usable. apple is pretty godo their second time around... as are most companies.

Also, iPhone isn't for me, but damn microsoft, why can't you get rid of the "lag" already. iphone is super snappy- everything is smooth. I could care less about the snazzy UI, but I'm getting sick and tired of having to wait 3 seconds for my text messages to load for the first time, or the 1 second lag when i press "start" for the first time. (smartphone wm5, that is). I mean that's why I stuck with wm2k3 back in my pocket pc days- it was snappy!
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three seconds too much eh? Cool
Kirkaiya
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco Augusto wrote:

I think that 700MB OS is going to be the downfall of the iPhone. Sure it was pretty to look at when I got to play with it on launch day, but the OS was buggy and slow (compared to the video commercials) and the device was hard to type with. All of those problems are minor problems though, the big problem will be that gigantic OS which I'm sure will have a ton of holes for people to exploit.

I have to respectfully disagree with the point about the footprint of the OS being a negative. As a looonggg-time windows device user (from my Cassiopeia E-11, to my iPaq 3650, to my Viewsonic V37, to my iPaq 1910, to my WinCE 4.2 PDA-phone Axia A108 to my current WM5 Dopod S300), I've seen the size and complexity of mobile operating-systems grow and grow and grow.

My E-11 had, I think, 8 MB of ROM, and legions of Palm users ridiculed that as huge, given that the Palm OS at the time was a fraction of that size. Windows Mobile 5 takes up roughly 50 MB of ROM, and some of the fully-packed Windows Mobile "professional" (aka WM6) machines come with 128 MB of ROM to fit the OS and bundled apps.

Given the amazing drop in price and size of flash memory, and given the history of Microsoft's often-criticized "fat" mobile OSes, I think it's a bit of a stretch for fans of Windows to criticize Apple's OS for it's size. That size is an advantage, because it means they can fit more elegant interfaces, more functionality, etc., into the device.

Rocco Augusto wrote:

There is no reason, whatsoever, to have an operating system on a phone that is almost as large as operating systems on computers a few years ago.

That sounds awfully close to Bill Gate's famous "there's no reason anyone needs more than 640K on a computer" line... as storage becomes affordable, device-makers will fill it.

Rocco Augusto wrote:
but is it really an "application" if you have to use your browser to run it?

Yes. With the caveat being that high-bandwidth connections are what make the user experience of hosted applications so great - and Apple's iPhone, with it's lowly EDGE connection, is going to make it very hard to create a good user experience using such apps.

You ask if it's "really an 'application'" - well, is Salesforce.com making millions selling a browser-based application? Is Google Maps an application? Are online word processors and spreadsheets applicaitions? (if you've used Zimbra's groupware, you already know that it's a fully-featured application).

The answer is yes - there are many applications (Google, Yahoo chat via meebo or Yahoo's new web-IM client, currency converters, RSS aggregators, mapping tools, online banking, etc.) that use web-based interfaces, rather than windows forms apps (or their linux or Mac equivalents).

All in all, I have to admit that I don't personally want an iPhone, at least not quite yet. But none of us here are the "typical" users that Apple is targeting - we're all very tech-savy users who can name feature sets, we know the difference between EDGE and UMTS, we know how much memory is in our phones, etc., etc.

My wife has an iPod Nano that I bought her two years ago. She loves it - she's only seen photos of the iPhone, and already wants one (luckily, they're not available in Thailand yet!!) Keep in mind - most people have no clue how much memory is in their phone, most people aren't yet using their phones for much besides voice calling and some text-messaging, maybe listening to an occasional song. In that regard, the iPhone is targeted well - it's got a great UI, a seductive-looking form-factor, has lots of storage (the 8 GB model) for music, which is more than most iPod users actually use (if you read survey's of the actual amount of storage used on ipods, a year ago it was something like 6 or 8 GB, although some people obviously max out their 60 GB models).

As somebody said - one simple update patch, and iPhone users will have some Apple'fied version of Skype, and a dedicated chat client, and other goodies. If and when they add 3G, even technophiles will start looking at it seriously. They're going to sell millions of these things, as the price drops and on-board RAM increases...
keirmeister
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read reports that the Bluetooth on the iPhone is also lacking. Apparently it will only connect to a headset (no Bluetooth file transfer, PAN, etc.)

If this is true, I'm completely appalled. Not even PAN? So you can't use the iPhone to get your Macbook online? That's insane!

I use a TyTN, and the iPhone beats it only in glossiness, interface, and screen resolution.

....and the iPhone's screen is gorgeous! Mmmmm..
rdecker
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep - How much you wanna bet, though, that the Apple boys are reading all these kind of comment and taking notes for the next firmware update via iTunes......
DaleReeck
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rdecker wrote:
Yep - How much you wanna bet, though, that the Apple boys are reading all these kind of comment and taking notes for the next firmware update via iTunes......

The only thing that concerns me is that you guys are putting a lot of faith in what Apple *may* fix with this phone. But there are no guarantees that Apple will address any of this stuff. I'm sure they will try and fix a decent amount of it, they would have too much to lose if they didn't. But the list of missing features/bugs is a pretty good size from what I've been reading. They may address most of that stuff in completely new hardware, iPhone 2.0. It wouldn't be the first time a company screwed people over that way.
hylton
Smartphone Pupil

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a super anti-apple anything kinda guy, very very married and devoted to MS technology in general, I got a chance to play w/ an iPhone this morning by a guy that is on the other side of the fence from me (we do get along, but definitely apple vs microsoft arguments brew on any given day).

Anyway, WOW, very impressed w/ the UI on this device. But, as many have said, once you get past the GooGooGaaGaa of the UI, the device falls apart in my opinion. Not that WM is a whole lot less 'proprietary', but it's been pretty open since the beginning (or at least the last few years) to install pretty much anything you want on it, assuming what you want has been written or you can write it yourself. While the UI seems a bit clunky on a WM PPC (much less so on WM Smartphone IMO) than an iPhone, the platform is more open, more mature, and overall more functional for any end user that wants anything more than email, music, and phone.

I think my point has been rehashed over and over again by alot of folks, but I'm only making it to make my second point. Which is...with the lack of out-of-the-box functionality, so much closed functionality, and only the promise of it become more open as time progresses...I think all it will take is the next generation of WM devices to seal the fate of the iPhone to the same category as Mac computers...only the hard-core Apple-ites will still buy them or want them. It's a really sweet entertainment device at best. We'll see I guess.

I just think once you bring some 'Surface' features to the PPC (Pro) and Smartphone (Standard) platforms in WM, you are going to see another leap forward in WM devices that leave things like the iPhone in the dust.

On a side note, as a phone, I found the iPhone kinda cumbersome, much like a PPC (Pro) WM phone. No easy way to just bring up the dialer and go. It's a 2 click process.

I still perfer the Smartphone (WM Standard) flavor. I want a phone first, all-in-one-gadget second ! ! !

Chris

Last edited by hylton on Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
rdecker
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may be right. I am waiting for "iPhone 2.0" because I want 3G.
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kirkaiya wrote:
Rocco Augusto wrote:

There is no reason, whatsoever, to have an operating system on a phone that is almost as large as operating systems on computers a few years ago.

That sounds awfully close to Bill Gate's famous "there's no reason anyone needs more than 640K on a computer" line... as storage becomes affordable, device-makers will fill it.

Well, the good news is, from what I read around the Interweb, the OS size is closer to 200MB than 700MB. 200MB of OS is a lot more forgiving for the lack of user features on the iPhone but at the same time it is still ridiculous.

It would be one thing if the phone had a majority of the features that you would get with the free phone on AT&T or even the low end feature phone, but Apple provided users with pretty much nothing. While the stuff they did provide was beautiful, there is no question about that, there is still a TON of missing basic low-end stuff that users expect, like MMS.

What amuses me the most is that everyone is jumping to defend Apple stating that they could release a system update at anytime to enable these missing features. If Microsoft pulled a stunt like this, everyone would be tearing them apart and going on rant after rant about how "out of touch" Microsoft is with what hte consumer wants, but when Apple does something similar, it suddenly becomes alright?

Sure Apple could release an update in the future and give everyone IM support or GPS support or even MMS and A2DP support... but that doesn't excuse the fact that they released a phone that cost as much as a small country without all of those features when the average user could still pick up a Motorola SLVR L2/L7 for close to nothing and it would have every single one of those features... minus GPS.

Apple screwed customer and as beautiful as the iPhone is at the end of the day it is nothing more than a insanely expensive BETA product. Instead of rushing this phone to market, Apple should have speant more time working on the device. They have a ton of talented developers over there, there is no excuse for this.

As for the applications, I just have a problem with having to use my web browser for any added application that I would choose to use. What happens if I am somewhere with no signal and can not hope on the data network to get to the application I want? What happens when some clever programmers discover some serious security holes and someone takes advantage of it?

I just wouldn't feel comfortable using an application like FlexWallet that was built around an Internet browser. This is why I like platforms like Windows Mobile where developers can create content they want for a system without an all powerful overlord looking over there shoulder.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
socrates
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hylton wrote:

Anyway, WOW, very impressed w/ the UI on this device. But, as many have said, once you get past the GooGooGaaGaa of the UI, the device falls apart in my opinion.

The good news for Apple is that there are a whole lot of people in this country that never get past the the "oh WOW" part of anything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> THOUGHT All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: