FAQ Profile Memberlist Usergroups Register
Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages -> Log in  
Details on HTC's Big June 5th Announcement
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS Printable version
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Details on HTC's Big June 5th Announcement Reply with quote

We've already talked about the big upcoming announcement from HTC . I've received an anonymous tip that outlined what the launch is all about. In the past my source has always been right. So there's no reason for me to question the information I was handed. On June 5th, HTC is expected to announce a new Windows Mobile device based on the Elf platform. However, this Elf will have a very special feature. HTC has done a great job of keeping this special feature a secret. This special Elf will have a multitouch display like the iphone. So you will be able to slide your finger across the screen to run commands and interact with the device in the same manner as Apple’s much hyped iphone. HTC will be launching this on a global scale, so it has the potential to reach a large audience in a short amount of time. It should be an interesting year ahead. What are your thoughts?
Rocco Augusto
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder if they will start selling unlocked devices in the US. with cingular/att locking the iphone to them for five years, i doubt we will be seeing att carrying this device anytime soon Sad
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew, I was worried they were going to announce new pastel colors or something.
Arne Hess
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I'm confident HTC can get multi touch displays as well, I wonder how this should work with Windows Mobile?
AFAIK Windows Mobile is multi tasking (which it is - I know) but not multi touch (since it is based on the stylus experience). Therefore HTC also has to add a whole new GUI on top of Windows Mobile to make an advantage out of multi touch... Or have I missed anything?
Jerry Raia
Contributing Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you are exactly right.
Foxbat121
Smartphone Ponderer

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So that's what Verizon's secret weapon against iPhone is.
kdarling
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've programmed touchscreens for a living for two decades. People talk about multi-touch on a PDA way too much, IMO.

On a small screen screen device such as a phone, multi-touch is not much use to people on the go, since it requires the use of two hands. It's an expensive extra that few people would use and is counter-productive for devices that are normally used with one hand.

Even the iPhone barely uses it... only for sizing an image, which you could do plenty of other ways. For example, use one key for grow, one key for shrink.

The rest of the iPhone GUI is normal touchscreen (just as on a Windows Mobile device) with some SFX thrown in, all easily duplicated in an application if wished. To extend the Windows interface shouldn't be too hard. No different than when more buttons were added to mice.

Now, multi-touch on a large screen, as demo'd by MS Surface and others, that's something useful.

Cheers, Kev
linusmd
Smartphone Neophyte

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They're probably going to get us all psyched up w/ all these new options, and then drop the bomb w/ a 200 mhz OMAP like they always do, and a 65,000 non-vga screen. and 64 mb of RAM like their previous 3 years of models.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rocco Augusto wrote:
i wonder if they will start selling unlocked devices in the US. with cingular/att locking the iphone to them for five years, i doubt we will be seeing att carrying this device anytime soon Sad

It's my guess, that these will be sold under the HTC brand only - and currently HTC doesn't sell their brand under a carrier. So I would expect to see it on Expansys / Mobile Planet.
Mike Temporale
Managing Editor

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arne Hess wrote:
While I'm confident HTC can get multi touch displays as well, I wonder how this should work with Windows Mobile?
AFAIK Windows Mobile is multi tasking (which it is - I know) but not multi touch (since it is based on the stylus experience). Therefore HTC also has to add a whole new GUI on top of Windows Mobile to make an advantage out of multi touch... Or have I missed anything?

I don't expect it to be a whole new GUI. I think it's a new touchscreen driver and a couple apps to show what it can do. The rest is up to the 3rd party ISV market.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Smartphone Thoughts Forum Index -> NEWS All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: