Thursday, June 8, 2006
The HTC Star Trek: Thin is In
Posted by Jason Dunn in "HARDWARE" @ 08:00 AM
Product Category: Windows Mobile Smartphone
Where to Buy:Will be sold in different markets as the I-Mate SmartFlip, the Qtek 8500, and the Dopod S300. HTC Str Trk (or "Star Trek") is the codename.
Price: n/a (pre-production hardware)
System Requirements: n/a
Specifications: Windows Mobile 5, TI 850 200 mhz OMAP CPU, Quad-band GSM, GPRS/EDGE, USB 1.1, Bluetooth 1.2, microSD memory slot, 98.5 mm x 51.4 mm x 15.8 mm in size, 99g in weight.
- Thinnest Windows Mobile Smartphone to date;
- Impressive use of the outer screen;
- Appealing, consumer-friendly design.
- Proprietary connector point for power and audio;
- Uses microSD for memory, slot is under SIM card;
- Uses old technologies: Bluetooth 1.2, USB 1.1.
This phone is a significant step forward for the Windows Mobile platform. It combines a sleek design, easily the equal of other popular consumer phones such as the RAZR, with the powerful functionality of Windows Mobile. The hardware feels high quality, the build quality is impressive, and it makes excellent use of the outer screen. The phone lacks WiFi, which makes it a poor choice for some users, and HTC also made some curious decisions regarding the sync/charge port on the phone, the choice of microSD for storage, and several other issues.
Read on for the full review!
- Discuss this story [32 replies]